The Work: Girouette
The Artist: Alexander Calder
Medium: Gouache and ink on paper
Size: 43" x 29 1/4" (sheet)
Signed and dated
Provenance: Galerie Maeght, Paris; Galerie Boulakia, Paris; Private Collection; Sotheby"s, New York, November 10, 1982, Lot 139; Bo Ling Cheng Fine Arts/Rolly-Michaux, New York; Private Collection, New Jersey (acquired from the above in 1986); Note: This work is registered in the archives of the Calder Foundation, New York, under application number A11180.
Estimate: $60,000 - $80,000
Rago Arts and Auction Center, November 15, 2014
Sale Price: $207,750
Born: August 22, 1898, Lawnton, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Died: November 11, 1976 (aged 78), New York City, New York, USA
He was an American sculptor known as the originator of the mobile, a type of kinetic sculpture made with delicately balanced or suspended components which move in response to motor power or air currents. Calder’s stationary sculptures are called stabiles. He also produced numerous wire figures, notably for a miniature circus.
In addition to sculptures, Calder painted throughout his career, beginning in the early 1920s. He picked up his study of printmaking after moving to Paris in 1926, and continued to produce illustrations for books and journals. His many projects from this period include pen-and-ink line drawings of animals for a 1931 publication of Aesop’s fables. As Calder’s sculpture moved into the realm of pure abstraction in the mid-1930s, so did his prints.
Calder created 1,800 pieces of jewelry over the course of his career, many of them as gifts for friends and relatives. Several pieces reflect Calder's fascination with art from Africa and other continents. They were mostly made of brass and steel, with bits of ceramic, wood and glass. Calder rarely used solder; when he needed to join strips of metal, he linked them with loops, bound them with snippets of wire or fashioned rivets. Calder created his first pieces in 1906 at the age of eight for his sister's dolls using scraps of metal he found in the street
< Title: Man, a sculpture by Alexander Calder for Expo 67, on Saint Helen's Island Parc Jean-Drapeau, Montréal, Quebec